December 7, 2011

"Drift Away" singer Dobie Gray, gone at 71...

As a teenager in the '70's, I was exposed to a lot of music and honestly, I have probably forgotten more songs than I remember. The '70's was a transitional period for music everywhere and some would argue, including me, that the '70's was the greatest decade in American music. But one song that remains with me to this day, a song that totally defined the '70's for me and countless others, was "Drift Away", by Dobie Gray.

That song has a way of lifting my spirits and clearing my mind of the clutter that comes with the daily grind. The smooth vocals Dobie displays and the music in that song, always helps me "Drift Away" to my teenage years and to another time and a better place. Without hesitation or question, this is my all-time favorite '70's song. In my humble opinion it's a masterpiece of songwriting and musical genius. It totally defined the mood and feeling that was alive during that time in my life.

God bless you Dobie, you are loved and surely will be missed!




"I may not get much done, but I sure am slow"...

No comments:

Post a Comment