February 28, 2013

Texas pianist legend, Van Cliburn...gone...

 
It seems there have been a rash of deaths for notable Texans lately. Well sadly, we lost another yesterday, an icon in Texas music. The master pianist Van Cliburn passed away in Fort Worth yesterday. Although I never was witness to one of his concerts, I've heard many stories that say his playing was unparalleled by anyone.
 
Although born in Shreveport, Louisiana and not a Texas native,Van Cliburn was undoubtedly a fixture in Fort Worth, Texas. So much so, there is a roadway named Van Cliburn Way, in his honor.
 
The world will miss this musical prodigy, but his legend will live on forever. I've left you with a video of Van Cliburn playing the Star Spangled Banner at Cowboy Stadium several years ago. It's one of the most touching and memorable versions I personally have ever heard.
 
Gone, but not forgotten, Van Cliburn, 1934 - 2013...Rest in peace...
 
 
 
 





"I may not get much done, but I sure am slow"...

No comments:

Post a Comment