February 11, 2013

Texas-style Smokey Chipotle Hot Sauce, or if you're a dancer, salsa...

After I posted a picture recently of my "Texas-Style Smokey Chipotle Salsa", I was overrun my requests for the recipe. So, since I'm not one to sit on my recipe's, I've decided to post it here for the whole world to see and or try.

My serving suggestion is to enjoy it with a fresh bag of Julio's Corn Tortilla Chips. If you're not in Texas, well, I'm sorry, but you'll have to resort to a lesser brand. They aren't available through the world wide web...yet. But I'm sure they will be soon.





Texas-style Smokey Chipotle Salsa 

Ingredients

3 large white onions                                        3-14 oz cans tomato sauce
3 large jalapeno pepper                                   3-14 oz cans crushed tomatoes                      
1 bunch of fresh cilantro                                 3-14 oz cans diced tomatoes, drained
3 tbsp fresh minced garlic                               salt to taste
3 tbsp garlic powder                                       1 rounded tbsp chipotle powder

Preparation

Quarter all onions and cut jalapenos into large chunks. Tear off all leaves of the cilantro, but leave out large stems. Add all prepared vegetables to food processor. Add the garlic powder, cumin, fresh minced garlic and a teaspoon of salt to the processor. Pulse the processor two or three times to get the vegetables to the size of your choice. I like my salsa a bit on the chunky side, so I only process it about 3 – 4 pulses. If you like yours more saucy, then pulse the mix 2-3 more times.

Pour the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and drained diced tomatoes into a medium dutch oven, roasting pan or sauce pot. If the diced tomatoes are too large, cut them into smaller pieces to the size of your choice. Add the processed vegetables to the sauce. It is extremely important that you drain the diced tomatoes very well. If you don’t, your sauce will become very watery and won’t thicken very well. I suggest opening the diced tomatoes first and place in a colander in the sink until you are ready to add them to the recipe.

Turn the burner on “High” and add a half tbsp of the chipotle mix. Stir it well and taste. If it’s not hot enough, add the rest of the powder, stir well and taste again. If it’s still not hot enough, add powder until it reaches your desired heat level. This is also the time to add extra salt if you want more. Go easy, salt “grows” in the recipe when it’s heated. Bring the mix up to where the entire pot is just starting to boil. Turn off the heat and let the salsa cool to room temperature until you can place it into jars, plastic wear or on the table. If you put the mixture in the refrigerator while it’s too hot, it will sour. Let it get to room temp.

Serving

You can use this as a dipping salsa with chips, you can put it on taco salads, serve it over enchiladas or however you want to use it. But, just be warned, it is addictive and delicious.

Yield

A LOT! This will make over a half-gallon of sauce for regular folks or one serving for your average Texan.



"I may not get much done, but I sure am slow"...

No comments:

Post a Comment