August 11, 2010

A/C is fixed...

On a hunch, I decided to take the van to a different mechanic to have a look at the A/C. He was the one that gave me the $1000 quote to replace the compressor after I got sticker shock from the initial $1500 quote. Well, good thing. He asked me if by chance the van had been overheating? I said, well, yes, it had been running a little bit hot, not sure why though, because it had only been 103 - 106 degrees every day here in Texas in August. He said it may not be the A/C compressor at all. I said, I'm listening. Seems there is a "pop off" valve on the compressor, so when the engine gets too hot, it "pops off" and discharges all of the freon, so as to not fry the compressor.

Yes, God is working His miracles from Heaven and he loves the Flighty Texan. The repair went from $1500 first quote, to $1,061 on the second quote, but upon closer inspection my new lifetime mechanic found out it was indeed the pop off valve...$251.65...

No comments:

Post a Comment