August 2, 2010

Wake me up at noon darlin'...

It's midnight, actually 12:17 a.m., C.S.T. here on the outskirts of nowhere, Texas, USA and I can't sleep. TOOOO much iced tea. Long weekend. My wife had a week long function in the big city. I drove up and Friday and we got back home today, Sunday, at about 1:45 and it was ONLY 104 degrees outside. That's ok though, the drive was only an hour and a half and the a/c in the van was kind enough to die just before we pulled out of the hotel parking lot to come home. So yep, you guessed it, I played the knight in shining armor, 'cept I took off the armor and slid on some shorts and a loose t-shirt and I drove the van home, so my wife could ride in the relative comfort of my truck. If you saw my truck, you'd understand why I said "relative comfort"... 335,000 miles and climbing. But, the A/C works...relatively. Two other lucky recipients of the ride home with her were my two granddaughters. My step-daughter I only partially melted on the drive back and I was glad to walk through the door of the house after that hour and a half trek through the burning flames of hell itself. I'm guessin' the temp in the van was close to 130 degrees...if I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was closer to the temp on the surface of the sun. You'd think I could lay right down and go to sleep. But, like I said, we got home at 1:45 and at 1:50, I was snoring. I took a long nap. I woke up around 7:00, my wife and I go get chicken, fried okra, cole slaw and mashed taters and gravy and that's where the iced tea came in. For me, iced tea makes a fried chicken meal complete. So, after a 5-6 hour nap and a gallon of tea, here I sit at midnight, wondering if I'll fall asleep at all tonight...and on top of that, I'm starting to feel a tad puny...in unison everyone..."awwwwww, poor baby". Night all...

No comments:

Post a Comment