March 2, 2012

Texas Independence Day

Oh yes, my Lone Star compadres..it's March 2nd and it's Texas Independence Day!!!! One hundred and seventy-six years ago today, Texas drafted, voted on and approved the Declaration of Independence to be a free Republic from Mexico. This day is also known as the Terquasquicentennial plus one year. Yeah, I know, that's a hard word to say. So much so, I almost had to visit the dentist to untangle my tongue after my first attempt. 

No matter what you do today, take time to remember the boys at the Alamo, Goliad and Buffalo Bayou, because without the sacrifices of those men, we wouldn't have the wonderful state we have today.

So enjoy your day ya'll and God bless Texas!!!!



"I may not get much done, but I sure am slow"...

3 comments:

  1. And how did you celebrate? I miss Texas. I still visit it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ms Impulsive...The Impulsive Texan NEVER passes up good chance to Celebrate Texas. As you might know, I spent the better part of 23 years of my life serving Uncle Sam in the YEW-nited States Navy. I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere, but through all of those years, I never visited a place better'n my beloved Texas.

    I celebrated at work with a few close Texas friends and we had a Lone Star gourmet meal of Taco soup, Cattle Trail Beans and various dips and treats. Before we began, I pledged my allegiance to the Great State O Texas by saying the Texas Pledge. We all sat and visited together and heard stories of the long and not so long history of our stay here in Tejas.

    We had one feller from Buffalo, NY, but like the old sayin' goes, "he got to Texas as fast as he could". And now, he wouldn't spend another balmy winter in those northernmost frigid regions. He's a first generation Texan and day-umm proud to say so...

    We ended our get together with chants of viva-la-Tejas and broke out into a tone-deaf rendition of Texas Our Texas and went our separate ways.

    In all, a fine time was had by all who came by. We plan to continue our merriment next year, by having our 3rd Annual Texas Celebration.

    Thank you for asking Ms. Impulsive and thanks for dropping by the hallowed halls of the Impulsive Texan.

    God bless you and God bless Texas!!!

    The Impulsive Texan

    ReplyDelete