March 1, 2012

Spring is about to sprung here in Texas...

Yes, as the title says, spring is about to "sprung" here in Texas. We've been blessed with a very mild winter this year and that glorious season will be upon us in just three weeks. It's supposed to hit the upper 80's here today. I love that it's going to be that warm in February and I wish my friends stuck in the "snow belt" could enjoy it too. One thing that scares me just a tad is that it IS getting that warm in February. Is that a sign of things to come for the 2012 Texas Summer? Last year was a killer summer and was recorded as one of the hottest summers on record in Texas. Over 75 days hit 100 degrees or more and more than fifty-five 100 degree days were in a row. It fell just short of the blazing Summer of 1980. I pray that it isn't a repeat, or is worse, than last summer.

When spring rolls around, it always makes me think of peaceful settings. And what more of a peaceful setting is there than the coast? A veteran songwriter here in Texas, Larry Joe Taylor, penned one of the greatest songs ever in "My Third Coast". And when the spring turns my thoughts to the coast, I always think of this song because of it's slow, rythmic cadence and the draw of the peaceful melody. Listen closely to the lyrics of this song because they are powerful beyond belief.

It's a song about a man that finds himself, finally, after years of self-abuse and how he found his "third coast" down on the Texas Coast near Port Boliver. This particular cover is sung by Brian Burns, another outstanding Texas musician. And he does a magnificent job too. At the end of the song, you'll hear Larry Joe come in and tell the singer to "get up, you're missing the best part of the day". A timeless line, in a timeless song.

I pray you all find your "Third Coast" in 2012...

Enjoy the music and have a great Summer ya'll!!!!!

The Impulsive Texan



"I may not get much done, but I sure am slow"...

4 comments:

  1. Nice Texas blog you have here. Where is Egan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool song. I totally agree with you on the weather thing. Surely, we will have ONE ice storm before full blown SPRING gets here. Scared here too! Hot is too dang hot here! Locust/dead grass/low lake levels/and no standing water anywhere! NOT looking forward to it! T:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb...

    Egan is a little "settlement" with a Cowboy church, a gas station, a hamburger "barn" and about twelve houses. It sits four miles west of I35 W on FM 917, just east of Keene, south of Joshua and north of Cleburne. It's about 18 - 20 miles due south of downtown Ft Worth, but it feels like it's a thousand miles from the confusion of any city...

    That's where my wife Terri and I live on our little three acres of paradise we've named "La Puerta del Cielo" or "Heavens Gate"...

    Thanks for the nice comments Deb...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Theresa...NO, NO, NO...NO ice at all. The only ice I want is the kind rattling around in the bottom of an empty glass of tea on a warm spring day...

    ReplyDelete