July 24, 2012

Texas Country Artist, Larry Joe Taylor..."My Third Coast"...

Every once in a while I get in a melancholy mood and want to hear some good, down-home, Texas made music. And one of the Texas artists that I always turn to is Larry Joe Taylor.

Larry Joe is a laid back, beach bum kind of guy. He loves the Texas Gulf Coast and has written dozens of songs to reflect his love of that area. One of my favorites by him is a Texas Music classic called "My Third Coast".

It's an epic song, going on for 6:31 seconds. But the lyric structure and melody connects you to the story almost instantly with the intro line of "He said I left California back in '76, the music died with Jimi Hendrix" and by the end of the song, you honestly don't realize six minutes have passed. It's the sad story of a former drug user that got out of that life in California, made it to Florida and sailed a stolen boat to South Texas and found his "third coast".

I post this song from time to time, because as a songwriter, I feel it's one of the best written songs of all time. I feel each word of the song as Brian Burns, the singer of this particular cut, weaves the story right up to the end, as he bids his old buddy Jack, goodbye.

Take a listen and see what you think. And when I say listen, I don't mean with just your ears. Listen with your heart and soul. Get somewhere quiet, close the door, kick your feet up, close your eyes and imagine your soaking up sun alone on the Texas Gulf Coast, somewhere between Corpus Cristi and Ole Mexico. It's a fine piece of art that just might make a few more fans of ole Larry Joe. If nothing else, you'll have spent 6:31 seconds in a Texas paradise.

God bless ya'll and God bless Texas music!


"I may not get much done, but I sure am slow"...

No comments:

Post a Comment